02 November, 2016

Magnum 21


Lake Taupo
Last week I went all the way to Whareroa village, near Turangi to pick up this boat. I took hwy 1 to Tokoroa, turn right to hwy 41, right again to hwy 32, left turn into Kuratau hydro road, right turn to Whareroa Road, #505.


home
It was an easy drive of 175 km. and the same route I took coming back from Wellington last month from Turangi to Hamilton. Traffic is much less than using hwy 1 all the way. It is my intention to spend at least one month renovating the Moustique before launching it. 



For some reason, all the standing riggings have been removed and stored inside by the previous owner. It will be a big jig saw puzzle for me to figure out which line goes where. I have yet to unfurl the main and jib to inspect them properly on my back lawn. There is a spinnaker pole but no sail to go with it.
As a single hander, I plan to use this spinnaker pole as a gin pole for raising the mast with the use of the main sheet winch in the cockpit. The mast is pinned firmly at the base. It will be easy to raise the mast from the cockpit by rigging an extra pulley up front and connecting a line to the jib forestay, leading back via the jib fairleads to either winch.

double bed

This boat has been used often on lake Taupo, by its owner. The trailer WOF expired 6 years ago, meaning he did not tow it on the highway. It was kept at his batch away from sea water. Inside this boat, it is in fair condition considering its age; only very minor repairs required and I am all set. It is of similar vintage as the Nanook, my previous boat, a Noelex 22 which I kept for 15 years. I used it for exploring many fresh water lakes and harbours on the North Island.

This Magnum 21 is very similar in layout as a Farr 6000 which is selling at 12K on Trademe, right now. Most of the work required is on the metal trailer which I water blasted on the second day. As far as I can see, there is no expensive welding required for a while. I painted a primer and will do a top coat in a few days. Then go for the WOF. Wanaka, here I come!

two single bunks
Inside the cabin, the layout is very similar to my Nanook with the centre board case in the middle supporting a collapsible table. The front part is a double bed with a marine toilet built-in underneath. The anchor, chain and line sit inside an anchor well, forward. The inside cabin floor is fully carpeted and looks dry.

There is a portable gas cooker with a small tank of LPG gas. Will store this outside with the outboard fuel, for safety. There are racks for 5 fishing rods. Two rod holders are provided on the transom (great storage for my bamboo flutes!)

The 8 hp Yamaha outboard started on the first pull and there is a full tank of fuel under the cockpit seat. I have a long list of 25 items to do before launching! Most boat owners modify their boats to suit their individual requirements. There is a small solar panel for
charging the fish finder (aka depth indicator). I will need to add some navigation lights if I intend to do sailing at night (red, green and white). No power source available and I do not wish to add a car battery; will look for a solar panel solution if there is one. Perhaps the outboard engine can provide enough current for navigation lights?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your visit and your comment.

Followers

Blogs that I follow